11-year-old Kenu lives in London with his mum, dad, and his little sister, Ashi. He is a much-loved, kind and caring little boy, with a big personality!
When he’s not out playing with his pet dog, Oreo, Kenu can be found playing his favourite computer game, Minecraft, or using his special talents to create animation videos. His dream is to become a famous YouTube star one day!
Sadly though, Kenu has recently been diagnosed with a relapse of leukaemia. He was initially diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) in 2014 and managed to go into remission in February 2015. Kenu’s relapse is very unusual, as he has now been diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia cell type B, an extremely rare type.
A blood stem cell donation from a matching donor is now Kenu’s best chance of beating his leukaemia. No matching donor has yet been found, so we are urging everyone aged 17-55 and in general good health to register as a potential blood stem cell donor.
A matching donor for Kenu is most likely to be someone with a similar Sri Lankan/South Asian heritage to him. Although, anyone could potentially be his match.
To register as a potential blood stem cell donor, just check if you are eligible below and follow the instructions. You could be a potentially lifesaving match for Kenu, or anyone else in need of a blood stem cell donation.
Check your eligibility
Your age, location and current health status are important. Check to see if you can become a blood stem cell donor.
Your age, location and health are importantSee if you are eligible
As a registered donor, you will be on standby to save life.
Do you live in the UK?
Is this your first registration with a stem cell donor registry?
Please enter your date of birth.
Please select measurement unit and enter your details
You are an eligible donor!
Thank you! You can become a potential donor! That’s it. You’re now on the road to becoming a lifesaving blood stem cell donor.
Thank you for your support.
If you did register before, you do not need to register again.
There are other ways to help.
Help us raise funds
Have you had any of these conditions?
Before you register, please check that you are able to donate by looking at the list below.
You will NOT be able to register if you have any of the following conditions:
- Weight under 7 stone 12lbs/50kg
- Obesity (i.e. body mass index (BMI) >40)
- Severe heart, lung or kidney diseases
- Severe illness of the central nervous system
- Severe mental health conditions
- Severe metabolic diseases
- Addictions (alcohol, drugs, tablets)
- Severe tropical infectious diseases
- Infectious diseases like HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C, Syphilis
- Systemic autoimmune diseases or other severe chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes or rheumatism)
- Cancer (including being cancer-free, but having had cancer in the past). Exception: Basalioma and cervical carcinomain situ (if fully removed)
- Diseases of the haematopoeitic system (blood disorders)
If you have or have had in the past, a chronic or serious condition, or take any medication regularly, please discuss this with a member of our team for initial guidance by calling us on T:020 8747 5620 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.