Only one in three people with a blood cancer (and in need of a transplant) will find a matching blood stem cell donor within their own family.
6 out of 10 blood cancer patients in the UK find an unrelated matching blood stem cell donor.
Every day, an average of almost 600 potential blood stem cell donors register with DKMS UK.
To date, DKMS has registered over 10 million potential blood stem cell donors worldwide, including over 800,000 people in the UK.
So far, over 1,300 second chances at life have been provided by DKMS UK.
To motivate others be sure to include your personal story letting people know why this cause is so important to you. Don't forget to include personal photos or videos.
Be realistic with how many people you aim to register. Your goal will be displayed on your page and will encourage people to continue to sign up as you get closer to your goal.
Make sure you share your drive with as many people as possible. Get friends, family and colleagues involved and ask them to share it on.
Social media offers a great way to reach a wide audience. We have compiled a few tips for social media
• It is best to use the channel that is already familiar to you through your private use.
• Be creative, authentic and emotional.
• Post regularly every two or three days.
• Make sure you keep your followers up to date with how many people have registered and how close you are to your goal.
• Don't forget to thank your followers for supporting your virtual drive.
• Tag other people, people who are well known in the region, places near you and regional newspapers/radio stations. By doing so, you create even more attention, as more people notice your posts
• Tag us and/or mention us in all your posts and Stories to make sure we spot them! We can then engage with your posts, answer any questions and maybe even share them to our page. You can do this by typing ‘@’ and then our account handle:
Create a profile with a powerful name and explain who is behind it
• Name of the page: Title of the online registration event, e.g. “Luca wants to live!”
• Category: e.g. charity
• Select profle image and header image.
Share content regularly. Photos and videos are the most popular.
• Be creative and use GIFs or the survey option.
• Before the end of the online registration event, remind your followers to return their swab kits.
• Infotainment: Educates the followers on the topic of stem cell donation.
You can create an event and invite your Facebook friends to attend the event. If you make it a public event, your friends can also invite their friends, so you’ll reach even more people. You can also invite your contacts to the event even if they are not on Facebook.
Download the app and create a profile
• Username: Title of the online registration event
• Profile information: Short description about you and link to the online registration event
(for Instagram there is only the option to link from the app)
Shares content regularly. Only photos or videos can be posted on Instagram (format: square).
• Use the story function regularly (portrait mode). The videos that are uploaded here are visible for 24 hours.
– Tip: Save important stories in the highlights section of your profile. To do this, you must first activate the story archive function.
– Be creative and use GIFs or the survey tools in the story, such as the survey question button, to find out what the followers are interested in.
• Remind your followers again towards the end of the online registration event to return their sets in time!
• For advanced users: Instagram-live streams.
– With prior announcement (by post or in a story) you can talk to your followers in a sort of live chat and answer questions directly.
This way you build up a close relationship.
• Infotainment: Educates the followers on the topic of stem cell donation:
– Did you know that...?
– Procedure from registration to donation: On our YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/DKMSUK) you will find many videos explaining both the registration and the donation process. You are welcome to share these videos and explain them. Uses digital templates that are easy to share and contain all information.