Mel, originally from Leeds and currently living in Manchester, has suffered from aplastic anaemia since she was 8 years old. On 6 October 2017, Mel was diagnosed with myelodysplasia anaemia and doctors told her that her best chance of survival would be a blood stem cell donation.
With myelodysplasia anaemia being rare, Mel is facing a lot of uncertainty and doctors cannot provide a timeline for her treatment. However, doctors have confirmed the earlier a match is found for Mel and she could have a blood stem cell transplantation, the better.
Unfortunately, a suitable matching blood stem cell donor hasn’t been found within Mel’s family so she and her family are now appealing to people all over the globe to help find a #Match4Mel and other people in her situation.
The combination of a lack of diversity on the blood stem cell registry and Mel’s mixed heritage makes her search for a matching blood stem cell donor even harder.
If you are aged between 17-55 and in general good health, please take a few minutes out of your day to register as a potential blood stem cell donor. The minutes you spare today could provide Mel or someone like her with a second chance of life. Find out more and register today.
Check your eligibility
Your age, location and current health status are important. Check to see if you can become a blood stem cell donor.
Your age, location and health are importantSee if you are eligible
As a registered donor, you will be on standby to save life.
Do you live in the UK?
Is this your first registration with a stem cell donor registry?
Please enter your date of birth.
Please enter your details
You are an eligible donor!
Thank you! You can become a potential donor! That’s it. You’re now on the road to becoming a lifesaving blood stem cell donor.
Thank you for your support.
If you did register before, you do not need to register again.
There are other ways to help.
Help us raise funds
Have you had any of these conditions?
Before you register, please check that you are able to donate by looking at the list below.
You will NOT be able to register if you have any of the following conditions:
- Weight under 7 stone 12lbs/50kg
- Obesity (i.e. body mass index (BMI) >40)
- Severe heart, lung or kidney diseases
- Severe illness of the central nervous system
- Severe mental health conditions
- Severe metabolic diseases
- Additctions (alcohol, drugs, tablets)
- Severe tropical infectious diseases
- Infectious diseases like HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C, Syphilis
- Systemic autoimmune diseases or other severe chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes or rheumatism)
- Cancer (including being cancer-free, but having had cancer in the past). Exception: Basalioma and cervical carcinomain situ (if fully removed)
- Diseases of the haematopoeitic system (blood disorders)
If you have or have had in the past, a chronic or serious condition, or take any medication regularly, please discuss this with a member of our team for initial guidance by calling us on T:020 8747 5620 or sending an email to email@example.com.