Wolves staff support Izzie’s appeal and join fight against blood cancer

On 12 July, staff throughout Molineux, home to premier league team Wolverhampton Wanderers, signed up to the stem cell register with DKMS to help find matching donors for patients with blood cancers or blood disorders.


Over 60 staff from various departments signed up on Tuesday, as the club raised awareness in the search of a matching donor for local 13-year-old, Izzie.

Image of Isabelle smiling at camera

Izzie was diagnosed with two serious blood disorders, including Aplastic Anaemia, a condition where the body does not produce enough blood cells, in August 2021.

With the help of DKMS, Izzie is looking to find a matching donor as fast as possible. Currently only 30% of patients needing a stem cell donation find a match with a relative. The remaining 70%, like Izzie, will rely upon the stem cell register to find a stranger.

Sarah Squires, Senior Donor Recruitment Manager at DKMS, said: “We were delighted to have the opportunity to work with the Wolves to raise awareness of the need for more people in the UK to join the stem cell register.

“With more than 2,400 patients looking for a stem cell transplant from an unrelated donor each year, everyone who is registered as a donor, or supports our work to register more donors, provides hope to patients and families like Izzie’s.

“We’d like to thank those who signed up and the team at Wolves who made this possible.

Further information

Join Izzie's appeal, register today!

Image of Wolves staff swabbing
Lou showing how to swab
Related stories