Friday Facts to Mark our Fifth Year

23 February 2018

As part of our fifth year anniversary celebrations we look at some facts and figures about blood cancer, and our achievements so far in the fight against it.

Who We Are

DKMS is the largest international donor centre.

We have registered nearly 350,000 potential lifesavers in the UK, and over 7.8 million worldwide.

In the UK, our incredible donors have given over 400 people second chances at life.

About Blood Cancer

Every year over 30,000 people are diagnosed with a blood cancer in the UK.

Blood cancers are the third most common cause of cancer death in the UK. Every year over 12,000 people die from blood cancer in the UK.

Blood cancers are also the fifth most common type of cancer in the UK with it accounting for 9% of all new cases of cancer diagnosed in the UK.

Every day, around 200 potential blood stem cell donors register with us and go on standby to potentially save someone’s life.

Finding a Match

Every year more than 2,000 people with blood cancer in the UK and 80,000 people worldwide are in need of a blood stem cell donation from an unrelated person.

6 out of 10 blood cancer patients in the UK find an unrelated matching blood stem cell donor – meaning 4 out of 10 won’t.

With over 17,000 different human leukocyte antigen (HLA) characteristics, the probability that two people will match is between 1 in 20,000 and 1 in several million.

The Donation

About 90% of blood stem cell donations in the UK are made via a peripheral blood stem cell collection (PBSC). The remaining 10% of blood stem cell donations in the UK are made via bone marrow (collected from the back of the pelvic bone).

How you can help?

If you would like to register, check your eligibility and sign up as a potential blood stem cell donor today.

Anyone between the ages of 17-55 and in general good health can go on standby as a potential lifesaver.