Ian’s a loving dad of three adorable daughters, an Arsenal fan and a golfer from Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire. Being a very sociable and selfless person, he loves helping others. Right now, however, he needs our help.
Ian’s life was turned upside down when he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) shortly after his 42nd birthday. His best chance of survival is through receiving a blood stem cell donation from a donor with a similar tissue type to his. Ian, his family and friends are currently on the search to find his perfect match.
His siblings have been tested, but sadly they are not a match. Adding to this, neither in the UK nor worldwide have doctors been able to identify a match for Ian. Together we could change this. All it takes is one registered person with a matching tissue type to help save this man’s life. The more people who register as a potential blood stem cell donor, the more likely Ian and others who are in a similar situation will be to find the perfect match.
If you’re between the ages of 17-55 and in good general health, please take a few minutes out of your day to help siblings, children and parents like Ian to find their potential blood stem cell donor. Finding the perfect match could give Ian and other people in need a second chance of life.
Check your eligibility
Your age, location and current health status are important. Check to see if you can become a blood stem cell donor.
Your age, location and health are importantSee if you are eligible
As a registered donor, you will be on standby to save life.
Do you live in the UK?
Is this your first registration with a stem cell donor registry?
Please enter your date of birth.
Please enter your details
You are an eligible donor!
Thank you! You can become a potential donor! That’s it. You’re now on the road to becoming a lifesaving blood stem cell donor.
Thank you for your support.
If you did register before, you do not need to register again.
There are other ways to help.
Help us raise funds
Have you had any of these conditions?
Before you register, please check that you are able to donate by looking at the list below.
You will NOT be able to register if you have any of the following conditions:
- Weight under 7 stone 12lbs/50kg
- Obesity (i.e. body mass index (BMI) >40)
- Severe heart, lung or kidney diseases
- Severe illness of the central nervous system
- Mental Illness
- Severe metabolic diseases
- Additctions (alcohol, drugs, tablets)
- Severe tropical infectious diseases
- Infectious diseases like HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C, Syphilis
- Systemic autoimmune diseases or other severe chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes or rheumatism)
- Cancer (including being cancer-free, but having had cancer in the past)
- Diseases of the haematopoeitic system (blood disorders)
You WILL be able to register as a blood stem cell donor, without additional consultation, if the following criteria applies to you:
- Englarged Thyroid or Underactive Thyroid (Hypothyroidism/Hashimotio's Thyroiditis stable and symptom-free. NOT Graves' disease)
- Iron-deficiency anaemia (if treatable with iron supplement)
- Hay fever, mild asthma, food allergy
- Basalioma and cervical carcinomain situ (if fully removed)
- Unipolar depression (mild depressio, no previous manic episodes without any limitations in daily life)
- High blood pressure (stable and well-controlled)
If you have or have had in the past, a chronic or serious condition, or take any medication regularly, please discuss this with a member of the DKMS UK team for initial guidance by calling us on T:020 8747 5620