Kapil is a dentist and loving father of two, with a third child on the way. Sadly, he has been diagnosed with a type of blood cancer called myelofibrosis and doctors have told him that his only chance of survival is a blood stem cell donation from a matching donor. Like many people, Kapil does not have a matching donor within his family so is reliant on one being found on a stem cell registry somewhere around the world.
Kapil said: “My bone marrow is unable to produce the needed red blood cells and so I get a blood transfusion every 2-3 weeks. I am 45 years old and I have two children, aged three and five, and my wife and I are expecting our third child. My condition is deteriorating very quickly and my ONLY chance of survival is getting a stem cell transplant as soon as possible. My brother and sister are not a close enough “match” to be my donor. For that, I need help from you. Please help me by registering . You could save my life.”
A matching donor for Kapil is most likely to be someone who shares a similar Indian ancestry with him, however, anyone could be his match. If you are aged between 17-55, haven’t joined the UK stem cell registry and are in general good health, you can register below as a potential blood stem cell donor. You could be a match for Kapil, or anyone else in need of a blood stem cell donation.
Check your eligibility
Your age, location and current health status are important. Check to see if you can become a blood stem cell donor.
Your age, location and health are importantSee if you are eligible
As a registered donor, you will be on standby to save life.
Do you live in the UK?
Is this your first registration with a stem cell donor registry?
Please enter your date of birth.
Please select measurement unit and enter your details
You are an eligible donor!
Thank you! You can become a potential donor! That’s it. You’re now on the road to becoming a lifesaving blood stem cell donor.
Thank you for your support.
If you did register before, you do not need to register again.
There are other ways to help.
Help us raise funds
Have you had any of these conditions?
Before you register, please check that you are able to donate by looking at the list below.
You will NOT be able to register if you have any of the following conditions:
- Weight under 7 stone 12lbs/50kg
- Obesity (i.e. body mass index (BMI) >40)
- Severe heart, lung or kidney diseases
- Severe illness of the central nervous system
- Severe mental health conditions
- Severe metabolic diseases
- Addictions (alcohol, drugs, tablets)
- Severe tropical infectious diseases
- Infectious diseases like HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C, Syphilis
- Systemic autoimmune diseases or other severe chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes or rheumatism)
- Cancer (including being cancer-free, but having had cancer in the past). Exception: Basalioma and cervical carcinomain situ (if fully removed)
- Diseases of the haematopoeitic system (blood disorders)
If you have or have had in the past, a chronic or serious condition, or take any medication regularly, please discuss this with a member of our team for initial guidance by calling us on T:020 8747 5620 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.